When: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 6:30-7:50pm
Where: Central Public Library, Meeting Room A (630 W. 5th Street)
Celebrating One Year
MEETING MINUTES SC-16-110309
1. Public Comment included a brief presentation by Mike Bonifer of Hollywood Sign Goes Solar, a recently incorporated nonprofit to introduce solar panels and light the Hollywood sign. There is a multi-pronged approach to introduce solar panels to the sign to potentially power security cameras, a fire protection system, or lighting the sign itself. There is some concern by adjacent community about lighting the sign as they do not want any intrusion or unwanted traffic in the neighborhood. The initiative is also looking to raise funds for solar panel installation throughout Los Angeles in partnership with Grid Alternatives. Sustainability Committee members discussed potentially supporting this group but would like more information about other outreach to adjacent Neighborhood Councils and other community groups in the immediate area. Sustainability Committee has agreed to consider a letter of support in the future pending more information on the program, plans, community response, and forthcoming website. To date: no information has been received.
2. Motion to approve minutes from the September meeting (SC-14-090901) approved.
3. Motion to approve minutes from the October meeting (SC-15-091006) approved.
4. Harlem Place Project community meeting planned for Thursday, November 19 at the Los Angeles Theater Company. Sustainability Committee members completed a survey on open space and Harlem Place during the meeting. For more information on the project, click here.
5. Sustainable Community Projects Internship update. Marc Ross is working on an ordinance study for Project 1: Rooftop Container Gardens & Composting. Committee member T.Blackman offered some advice and leads on where to look for more information and leads on existing rules and ordinances that might be relevant to this project.
6. 2009 Project 1 Update: Rooftop Edible & Composting Containers. D. Nolan is absent but J. Regan provided an update on a recent DLANC PROS meeting she attended (November 2, 2009). The PROS committee is considering portable agbins as an approach to community gardens with the guarantee that the placement is temporary but with the intent of community support for maintenance. J. Regan has proposed that the Sustainability Committee consider collaborating with PROS on our upcoming outreach event on garden education (per our Project 1 scope) in early December/January. Action to be determined.
7. 2009 Project 3-4 Update: Increase Participation in Cost-Saving Efficiency Programs: Energy, Water & Waste. C. Prost is absent due to illness but plans to schedule a follow-up meeting in December for the project. More details to follow.
8. 2009 Project 6 Update: Community Greening Strategy & The Sustainable Design Assessment Team (SDAT) Grant (Veronica Siranosian). SDAT visit scheduled for December 2-4.
9. Agenda items for next meeting (December 1, 2009): Will consider adding letter of support for Hollywood Sign Goes Solar pending receipt of requested information.