When: Tuesday, July 7, 2009, 6:30-8:00pm
Where: Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Office
(453 S. Spring Street, Suite 1020)
MEETING MINUTES SC-12-090707
For approval at the August 2009 meeting (Tuesday, August 4, 6:30pm @ NC Office)
2. Public Comment on Non-agenda items including community announcements (3 minutes).
3. Meeting minutes SC-11-090602 approved without objection.
4. Stanley Michaels provided a continuation of his report on packaging research (see full documentation of Mr. Michael’s report online). Motion approved to write a letter of support to City Council, requesting they begin considering a ban on consumer take-out Styrofoam in Los Angeles.
5. Needs List discussed – opportunities for additional research including beekeeping, composting, and urban orchards. Committee members encouraged to help build list of potential partners by contributing online at www.downtownsustainability.com Natalia Aguilar suggested we consider promoting plays/theater with sustainability-focused and educational productions. She will continue to investigate and report back when a proposal is ready for consideration. Anyone interested in partnering, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Motion approved to proceed with finding an intern for a 15-week Sustainability Committee internship. Revised job description to be reviewed at August 2009 meeting.
7. Motion approved to write a letter of support as requested by the Los Angeles Convention Center for their application for the Energy Block Grant as provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
8. Project 6 update: Community Greening Strategy / SDAT Grant – we have agreement on MOU between AIA and City. DONE has reversed its position on fundraising – need to find community partners who can make contribution directly to AIA per recommendation of DONE Gen. Manager BongHwan Kim. Motion approved to accept the recommended list of steering committee and community match partners as provided by the Project Team. List as submitted to Board of Directors available online.
9. Project 7 update: Park[ing] Day LA planning to start! Looking for community volunteers and committee participants for planning and event day. This year’s event is on Friday, September 18, 2009. Jennifer Regan and Pamela Tuttle have volunteered to lead this year’s Downtown park and plan to host event planning meetings shortly. Community volunteer (and webmaster) Ryan Saucerman volunteered his expertise and sound equipment for the event.
10. Project Updates including status report, project teams and leadership, and kick-off meeting schedule: see Addenda attached – as provided at Sustainability Committee meeting. Additional comments on projects: Project 4: Materials; toolkit should be expanded to represent best practices; green seal/sticker for recognition; Ryan suggested petitions as a strategy; should contact Office of the Environment
11. Agenda items for next meeting? Project Butterfly Collaboration