When: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 6:30-7:50pm
Where: Central Public Library, Meeting Room A (630 W. 5th Street)
MEETING MINUTES SC-14-090901 (for approval at November 2009 meeting)
2. Public Comment on Non-agenda items including community announcements (3 minutes).
3. August meeting minutes SC-13-090804 approved.
4. Sustainable Community Projects Internship has been posted. Goal is to have an intern to start at the end of September 2009. Committee recommends posting on Planetizen and planning.org. Committee invited to participate in intern review process.
5. Sustainability Committee hosted an open meeting with Urban Glue to discuss the proposed partnership with Village Green for an American Recovery Act Grant. The consensus was that there was not enough information or Neighborhood Council resources to fully manage this opportunity as proposed. However, we will continue to investigate this opportunity and implementation logistics in the coming months.
6. Project 6 (Veronica Siranosian): The SDAT preliminary visit is scheduled (tentatively) for September 10-11, 2009. This will include an introduction of the SDAT Project Leader to the neighborhood and informal meetings with community stakeholders. A project team meeting will be scheduled (TBA).
7. Park[ing] Day LA 2009 is Friday, September 18 and will be hosted by the Sustainability Committee in Harlem Place (between W.4th and W.5th Street). Event volunteers, please contact Jennifer Regan and Pamela Tuttle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Project Butterfly (http://www.projectbutterfly.org/) has proposed a community partnership for a Downtown broadcast of the annual Bioneers Conference on October 14-16 (http://www.bioneers.org/conference). The partnership would involve our help with local outreach and communications, event volunteers, and potentially a brief presentation of the work being done Downtown. Committee approved proposed partnership for the October event (S. Michaels abstains). Ron Crockett volunteers to help with event.
9. The Tree Planting Project would like to apply for the Board of Public Works Community Beautification Grant (http://bpw.lacity.org/OCB/CBGrant/cbgidx07.html) for $15,000 towards tree maintenance for the Skid Row pilot project. Project may not be eligible because it needs funding for maintenance (not within scope). Committee approved motion to proceed with grant application, pending verification of terms.
10. Discussion on the recent DWP MOU. Sustainability Committee voted to continue investigating this issue – particularly as it applied to tiered rates applicable to peak usage.
11. 2009 Project Updates:
a. Project 1: Rooftop Edible & Composting Containers (Dawna Nolan) – no report at this time.
b. Project 2: Tree Planting – Skid Row Pilot (Gunnar Hand): Tree planting day is tentatively scheduled for October 24. Ongoing solicitation of community partnerships and funds for tree maintenance. Committed to three years of maintenance for trees.
c. Projects 3: Increase Participation in Cost-Saving Efficiency Programs: Energy & Water Focus/Project 4: Increase Participation in City & Private Recycling and Food Waste Programs (Corey Prost) Meeting with city departments to continue to understand resources available. New commercial services postcard has been printed for distribution.
d. Project 5: Online Toolkit of Existing Resources (Ryan Saucerman). Ryan was absent – no update on website to date.
e. Project 7: Event and Education Programming & Calendar. Calendar continues to be updated. Check website for latest information.
f. Project 8: Green Living Program (Pamela Tuttle). Investigating partnership with Los Angeles Community College District to bring green living courses to larger community.