Please note the location for our next meeting:
Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 6:30-7:50pm
Where: Central Public Library, Meeting Room A (630 W. 5th Street)
2. Public Comment on Non-agenda items including community announcements (3 minutes).
3. Review meeting minutes from the August meeting. Action Item: Approve minutes SC-13-090804 (all meeting attendees - 3 minutes). Minutes will be available online for review on Saturday, August 29, 2009.
4. Sustainable Community Projects Internship has been posted. Goal is to have an intern to start at the end of September 2009. Please post/distribute job posting. Action Item: Create a working group to review applications and help with the intern selection process. (1 minute)
5. Sustainability Committee hosted an open meeting with Urban Glue to discuss the proposed partnership with Village Green for an American Recovery Act Grant. The consensus was that there is not enough information or Neighborhood Council resources to fully manage this opportunity as porposed. However, we will continue to investigate this opportunity and implementation logistics in the coming months.
6. The SDAT preliminary visit is scheduled (tentatively) for September 10-11, 2009. This will include an introduction of the SDAT Project Leader to the neighborhood and informal meetings with community stakeholders. A project team meeting will be scheduled (TBA).
7. Park[ing] Day LA 2009 is Friday, September 18 and will be hosted by the Sustainability Committee in Harlem Place (between W.4th and W.5th Street). We need event volunteers and help with outreach to community partners. If you are interested, please contact Jennifer Regan and Pamela Tuttle at email@example.com. (2 minutes)
8. Project Butterfly has proposed a community partnership for a Downtown broadcast of the annual Bioneers Conference on October 14-16. The partnership would involve our help with local outreach and communications, event volunteers, and potentially a brief presentation of the work being done Downtown. Action Item: Committee to approve proposed partnership for the October event. Event volunteers requested. (5 minutes)
9. The Tree Planting Project would like to apply for the Board of Public Works Community Beautification Grant for $15,000 towards tree maintenance for the Skid Row pilot project. Action Item: Approve grant application for submission by the October 20, 2009 deadline. (5 minutes)
10. Advocacy Issue: Discussion on the recent DWP MOU. Action Item: Sustainability Committee to consider sending letter of support to the Board of Directors for approval. Very initial draft is available online. (30 minutes)
11. Other Project Updates (30 minutes):
a. Project 1: Rooftop Edible & Composting Containers (Dawna Nolan)
b. Project 2: Tree Planting – Skid Row Pilot (Gunnar Hand)
c. Projects 3: Increase Participation in Cost-Saving Efficiency Programs: Energy & Water Focus (Corey Prost)
d. Project 4: Increase Participation in City & Private Recycling and Food Waste Programs (Corey Prost)
e. Project 5: Online Toolkit of Existing Resources (Ryan Saucerman). Additional update on progress of Sustainability Committee website.
f. Project 6: Community Greening Strategy & The Sustainable Design Assessment Team (SDAT) Grant (Veronica Siranosian).
g. Project 7: Event and Education Programming & Calendar.
h. Project 8: Green Living Program (Pamela Tuttle).
12. Agenda items for next meeting?
The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the DLANC SUSTAINABILITY Committee on any item of the agenda prior to the Committee taking action on an item. Comments from the public on agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the agenda that is within the Committee’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the public comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker, unless waived by the presiding officer of the Committee. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting Committee Board Chair Ashley Zarella at ashley.zarella@DLANC.com.
SI REQUIERE SERVICIOS DE TRADUCCION, FAVOR DE NOTIFICAR A LA OFICINA 3 dias de trabajo (72 horas) ANTES DEL EVENTO. SI NECESITA ASISTENCIA CON ESTA NOTIFICACION, POR FAVOR LLAME A NUESTRA OFICINA AL 323-224-2316.