When: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 6:30-8:00pm
Where: Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Office (453 S. Spring Street, Suite 1020)
2. Public Comment on Non-agenda items including community announcements (3 minutes).
3. Review meeting minutes from the July meeting. Action Item: Approve minutes SC-12-090707 (all meeting attendees - 5 minutes).
4. Translation services are being provided by a community volunteer (David McCreary). Sustainability Committee will be providing bilingual communications soon!!!
5. The Sustainability Committee has been notified that we will be receiving a California APA (American Planning Association) Award of Merit for Grassroots Initiative in recognition of our efforts to create a community greening strategy and resource toolkit for Downtown Los Angeles.
6. Update on advocacy issues (10 minutes).
- Letter of support requested by the Los Angeles Convention Center and their application for the Energy Block Grant as provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was approved by the Board of Directors.
- Letter to City Council regarding a potential styrofoam ban (limited to restaurant take-out containers) narrowly passed Board of Directors but has been sent. Next steps: how to work with business owners to create awareness for better packaging options and other best practices. Discussion about starting a best practice recognition program.
- DWP MOU: Action Item: Sustainability Committee to decide whether we should monitor this issue. Need a volunteer to track and report on issues, propose potential speakers to help us understand the issue, etc.
7. 2009 Committee Budget Update (7 minutes): Our original budget proposal for $7,500 is now an allocation of $6,000. Action item: Sustainability Committee to approve revised budget allocation for 2009-2010. To be sent to Board for approval.
8. Revised job description for Committee internship to be presented. Action item: Sustainability Committee to approve internship job description to go to Board of Directors for approval (5 minutes).
9. Update on Project 6: Community Greening Strategy / SDAT Grant (5 minutes). The AIA and Neighborhood Council submitted the MOU for city approval on Friday, January 24, 2009 and Betty Wong confirmed in an email that the remaining required signatures have been obtained. Awaiting next steps Monday, August 3 to determine how we will provide the required community match of $5,000 ($1,500 committed by the Neighborhood Council). AIA has asked to schedule the preliminary visit by the end of August 2009 (for team leader only). Next steps: meeting to be announced for SDAT project team (Veronica Siranosian).
10. Update on Park[ing] Day LA 2009 (10 minutes).
- Downtown Block Party planned for Harlem Place between 4th & 5th Streets. Looking for event volunteers, community partners, and your participation on Friday, September 18, 2009. Discuss potential partnership opportunity with Education Committee (Pamela Tuttle).
- City-Wide Event: Ashley Zarella is working with Shawn Simons to bring Park[ing] Day LA 2009 to NCs across the city. A pool of resources is being collected to facilitate events across the city as a unified NC event. Help us reach out to other NCs to get them involved in this great community outreach opportunity.
11. Other Project Updates (45 minutes):
- Project 1: Rooftop Edible & Composting Containers (Dawna Nolan)
- Project 2: Tree Planting – Skid Row Pilot (Gunnar Hand)
- Projects 3: Increase Participation in Cost-Saving Efficiency Programs: Energy & Water Focus (Corey Prost) Outreach postcard: presentation of concept. Action item: Approve outreach message on water efficiency for 1000 FSC-certified postcards.
- Project 4: Increase Participation in City & Private Recycling and Food Waste Programs (Corey Prost)
- Project 5: Online Toolkit of Existing Resources (Ryan Saucerman). Additional update on progress of Sustainability Committee website.
- Project 6 (see above).
- Project 7: Event and Education Programming & Calendar (Pamela Tuttle). Potential Project Butterfly collaboration.
- Project 8: Green Living Program (Pamela Tuttle).
12. Agenda items for next meeting?
The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the DLANC SUSTAINABILITY Committee on any item of the agenda prior to the Committee taking action on an item. Comments from the public on agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the agenda that is within the Committee’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the public comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker, unless waived by the presiding officer of the Committee. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting Committee Board Chair Ashley Zarella at ashley.zarella@DLANC.com.
SI REQUIERE SERVICIOS DE TRADUCCION, FAVOR DE NOTIFICAR A LA OFICINA 3 dias de trabajo (72 horas) ANTES DEL EVENTO. SI NECESITA ASISTENCIA CON ESTA NOTIFICACION, POR FAVOR LLAME A NUESTRA OFICINA AL 323-224-2316.