When: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 6:30-8:00pm
Where: Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Office
(453 S. Spring Street, Suite 1020)
MEETING MINUTES SC-11-090602
2. Stanley Michaels presented his experience at the Zero Waste Plan Conference. All recycling jobs are minimum wage. City working towards coordinating a color-coded system for recyclable plastics. Meeting materials available at the Neighborhood Council office.
3. Meeting minutes SC-10-090505 approved without objection.
4. Stanley Michaels presented preliminary research on packaging. Investigating other city ordinances and community impact. Next steps: continue research and make recommendation to Committee.
5. Project Updates:
a. Project 1: Rooftop Gardens & Composting: currently determining what garden models will be feasible in first year of pilot project. Kick-off meeting scheduled for June 10.
b. Project 2: Tree Planting: survey day and community outreach event planned for June. Planting in October-November. Investigating funding options for tree maintenance (estimated at $31,000).
c. Projects 3-4: Increase Participation in City Program: Corey Prost has volunteered to take the lead on these two projects.
d. Project 5: Online Resource Toolkit: Jennifer may have a community member interested in helping us develop the online platform for the toolkit.
e. Project 6: SDAT Grant/Community Plan: MOU in city purgatory. More information to follow.
f. Project 7: Events & Education Calendar: Pam Tuttle has volunteered to take the project lead role on this initiative. Investigating what sources we should be feeding on a regular basis with our activities. Looking for community partners/event opportunities.
g. Project 8: Green Living Program: Pam Tuttle has volunteered to take the project lead role. Launch of pilot tentatively scheduled for Fall 2009. More information to follow.
6. Communications Plan approved with the opportunity for committee feedback allowed. Letter templates sent to Board of Directors and approved.
7. The Outreach Bin has been purchased and stocked! Available for future events attended/sponsored by the Sustainability Committee.
8. Agenda items for next meeting: Recycling (Stanley to follow-up on packaging report); Wi-Fi Downtown; Park[ing] Day LA 2009; Property Managers (Nicole).